Funny and Sad Fears — A List of Crazy + Weird Phobias
We can all become scared sometimes, but was that fear grows out of control it will become a phobia. But, some of these legitimate phobias are just too funny. Who would be so afraid of something like “Being watched by a duck.” This list of phobias will surely get you through hump day.
Anatidaephobia is the very real fear of being watched by a duck. This is only the tip of the iceberg of funny phobias. It is a cruel thing to laugh at another’s misfortune and anxiety, but some things are just silly to be scared of.
There are some socially accepted fears such as; snakes, germs, large spaces, small spaces, and huge groups of people. These phobias are widely accepted around the world. Does that mean that they are more real for the sufferer than a fear of, lets say, a color?
Each individual that sufferers from their unique fear believes whatever they are terrified of to be a real evil in the world that is out to get them. We may laugh, but these folks live in constant terror.
Here is a list of some of the more odd phobias.
1. Nomatophobia – This is the fear of names.
2. Vestiophobia – This is the fear of clothing.
3. Syngenesophobia – This is the fear of relatives.
4. Stasibasiphobia – This is the fear of walking.
5. Olfactophobia – This is the fear of smells.
6. Verbophobia – This is the fear of words. I guess you wouldn’t be reading this if you had this phobia, huh?
7. Proctophobia– Fear of rectums.
8. Sesquipedalophobia– Fear of long words. Seems vicious to make the word for a fear of long words to be so long.
9. Xanthophobia– Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow.
10. Pogonophobia– Fear of beards.
Pretty crazy, huh? If you want to learn about more there is a great list at phobiaslist.com. Enjoy. Remember that these fears are very real for those that suffer from them, weird as they may be.