The Red Cross is assisting several families who were displaced overnight after a fire broke out at a two-story residence at 1611 Earle St. in Tyler.

Firefighters responded to the blaze shortly before 2 a.m. Wednesday and noticed heavy smoke and flames coming from the second story apartment unit.

Initial reports indicated that occupants were possibly inside the upstairs apartment unit.  Firefighters quickly searched the structure, but found no one inside.  The fire was brought under control around 2:50 a.m.  The upstairs apartment sustained heavy fire damage, with a total loss of the contents.  The downstairs unit sustained extensive water damage as well.

Fire investigators have indicated that the fire originated in an upstairs bedroom near an air conditioning unit.