It's unusual for snakes to be out during the colder months, but they're still rearing their ugly heads.  A 5-year-old girl needed 16 doses of antivenom after being bitten by a rattlesnake at a Texas State Park, and it serves as a warning for all of us.

Emily Rose is recovering at a hospital near Austin after a western diamondback rattlesnake sunk its nasty fangs into her leg last weekend. KXAN says the experience and the cost of treatment is something that's going to have a long-lasting impact on the whole family.

According to their report, the family thought it would be fun to go to Longhorn Cavern State Park on Saturday to enjoy the mild weather, and at one point Emily's mom said she came running around the corner screaming, "SNAKE!"

As a parent, that thought sends me into protective mode. 'Not my daughter you stinkin' creepy snake!'. The family got Emily Rose out of the park as quickly as they could, and after a stop at the hospital in Burnet, she was airlifted to Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas in Austin.

Rattlesnakes usually wait until it's warmer to be seen with any frequency, but obviously they are still around and they're not afraid to strike.  If you happen to encounter a rattler and it bites, the experts suggest moving as little as possible so the venom doesn't get stirred around, and call the North Texas Poison Center at 800-222-1222.  Rattlesnake bites can cause swelling at the very least, and they can lead to death in worst case scenarios.

One vial of antivenom can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, according to the Dallas Morning News, and the family doesn't have insurance. With the hospital stay and the meds, can you imagine the medical bills? Wow. The good news is Emily Rose is recovering, and a GoFundMe account has been set up to help them out.