Memorial Day BBQ + Dinner Ideas [RECIPES]
Memorial Day is coming, so better get ready for that BBQ or Memorial Day dinner. Your friends and family will be looking forward to some good eats. Don’t let them down with the same old hot dog or hamburger. Try these new recipes to impress their taste buds.
1. Roasted Pork Sandwiches With Cilantro Sauce
- 2 lb pork shoulder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 aji or hot peppers
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, stems included
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves
- juice from 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp finely chopped white onion
- 2 avocados
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Heat up your oven to 325.
- Trim pork shoulder of any large pieces of fat. Season with your salt and pepper and drizzle a little olive oil on a baking sheet. Wrap up in some foil. Then, roast in the oven between 2 and 3 hours hours or until the pork is tender. The pork will be ready when is can easily be shredded. When it is ready, shred the pork to your liking and keep it warm until it is put on the sandwiches.
- You can get the pickled red onions ready while the pork is cooking. Prepare the onions by slicing them very thin. Heat up the sugar, vinegar, and salt until everything is dissolved. Pour this mixture over the red onions and let sit for a few minutes minutes. Drain them and put to the side.
- Combine the aji peppers and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper before stirring into the white onion.
- Mash the avocados. Add seasoning of salt and lime juice. Spread the mashed and seasoned avocado on every one of the buns. Then place the shredded pork, pickled onions and aji sauce on top of the avocado spread. It is ready!
2. Corn Salsa Hot Dogs
- 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned and drained corn kernels
- 3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced, optional
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, or 2 teaspoons dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 whole wheat hot dog buns
- Mix together the corn, scallions, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder.
- Grill your hot dogs.
- Top your hot dogs fresh off of the grill with about 2 tablespoons of the corn salsa mixture. It is ready!
3. Tomato, Pesto, & Mozzarella Burgers
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
- Worcestershire sauce
- 3 burger buns
- Pesto, purchased or homemade
- Roasted tomatoes
- 3 slices of fresh mozzarella
- Get grill heated up to High.
- Season your hamburger meat with a little Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- For seasoned meat into patties.
- Grill until preferred “doneness” making sure to flip half way through grilling.
- When done, place a slice of cheese on each patty. Shut off grill and lower the lid to allow the cheese to melt. During this time, place the buns on the grill to warm as well.
- Spread pesto on buns after they have warmed up.
- Place roasted tomatos and patties on buns.
- It is ready!
4. Spicy Chili French Fries
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick fries
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried onion granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Get oven heated up to 375 and grease a large baking sheet.
- Allow potatoes to cool for about 10 minutes in a large bowl filled with cold water.
- Mix together the oil, vegetable juice cocktail, chili powder, ground cumin, onion granules, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sugar, and salt.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry.
- Toss the potatoes in the spice mixture.
- Lay out, with plenty of room, the seasoned potatoes on the large baking sheet.
- Bake fries. Turn them occasionally. The baking process should last almost an hour. When they are crispy and golden brown they are done!