101.5 KNUE logo
Get our free mobile app

WARNING: Young Texas Man Dies After Eating Gulf Coast Oysters

Sadly a young Texas man with previous health conditions has died after eating raw oysters in Galveston, Texas.

He ate the oysters on August 29th and died September 4th.

Now Galveston County officials are warning people about raw or undercooked shellfish after the man's tragic death.

The infected oysters have been identified with vibrio vulnificus.

The infected oysters have been identified with vibrio vulnificus and sadly, the warmer Texas waters may have been the conduit for the infected oysters.

Today warns, "Some experts are concerned that vibrio vulnificus, which thrives in warm coastal waters, is expanding geographically and could infect more people."

The man, whose identity has not been released, was in his 30s and had immunity and live issues. Still, Galveston officials are warning residents and visitors to our coastal waters that there are dangers associated with eating raw oysters.

What are the signs?

The first signs of illness after you've consumed an infected oyster is vomiting, a rash  and diarrhea. If you think you've gotten poisoned from consuming raw oysters, it is advised that you see a health care professional immediately.

Where were the oysters consumed?

The oysters were consumed at a local Galveston restaurant ( which has not been publicly named)  and as per Texas law, all oysters are tagged making it easier for officials to isolate the batch of oysters that have been contaminated and it appears that those oysters have been found and destroyed.

ABC13 Houston covered the story on YouTube.

It's very informative and worth the watch, especially if you enjoy raw oysters in Texas.

Top Ten of the Most Disgusting Things Texans Eat



More From 101.5 KNUE