City Of Tyler, Texas Will Pick Up Your Bulky Items For Free Week Of May 2nd
It's a fantastic convenient event that the City of Tyler, Texas hosts twice a year to help homeowners get rid of some things that they can't easily dispose of themselves. Tyler's Free Bulky Week is scheduled for the week of May 2nd.
This is an opportunity for homeowners who do not have a way of disposing of large bulky items, like appliances, furniture, and old grills, to set them on the curb and hauled off free of charge by the City Of Tyler Solid Waste Department and Keep Tyler Beautiful. The best thing about it, residents do not have to pay for this service.
I know this is something that I will be taking advantage of this time around because I have some old fencing material along with a grill that no longer works and a freezer that just suddenly stopped freezing things. I don't have the time to load it up and take it to the recycling center or city landfill to dispose of it.
Residents wishing to participate simply follow these guidelines:
The bulky items you want to discard and have hauled away by the city free of charge may be placed curbside no sooner than Friday, April 29th at 5 p.m and no later than Monday, May 2nd at 7 a.m. At that point, city crews will know where to go to make all the pick-ups. There is no need to call the Solid Waste Office when you place items at the curb.
The pick-up date may be different than your normal trash collection day, so, no worries. If you place items curbside after the cut-off day and time of Monday, May 2nd at 7 a.m. or after a collection has been done in your neighborhood, a special fee will be charged to you by the city to return to pick up those items.
Items that are acceptable curbside include but are not limited to:
- fence material
- old toys
- large items that normally require a special fee
- paint - MUST BE DRIED OUT WITH OIL DRY OR KITTY LITTER
Items that will not be accepted during Bulky Item week include:
- liquid waste
- tree stumps
- construction material
Now if you can't participate in this free event, the City Of Tyler Recycling Center is available to residents during normal business hours Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.m and Saturday 8 a.m. to noon at 418 N. Bois D'Arc.
The following items are also accepted at the City of Tyler Recycling Center:
- paper (newspapers, magazines, phonebooks, ads, and office paper)
- cardboard of any type (broken down)
- plastic (rinsed and crushed #1 and #2 HDPE, lids removed; examples- water or soda bottles, milk jugs, and detergent bottles)
- glass (rinsed clear, green, brown, and blue glass bottles and jars with lids removed) - NO MIRRORS
- ink cartridges
- electronics (computers, TVs, monitors, cell phones, chargers, and other portable devices)
- metal (copper, aluminum, brass, and steel)
- aluminum cans (rinsed and crushed, no aluminum pie plates or tin)
- household appliances including air conditioners and refrigerators DO NOT require
- a disposal fee the week of May 2 with a current Tyler Water Utilities bill
- motor oil/hydraulic fluid (small quantities)
- automotive batteries/anti-freeze (small quantities)