Bullard was founded in 1881 and is in East Texas. It lies in both Smith and Cherokee Counties.
At its start, the town was known as Etna and Hewsville. The name Bullard was eventually given to the town after John H. Bullard and Emma Eugenia Bullard. John had opened the Hewsille post office inside of his general store in 1881 that later became the Bullard post office.
When the Kansas and Gulf Coast Railroad extended from Tyler to Lufkin, it passed through Bullard where a depot was built. This attracted people and businesses and by 1890 the town was growing.
Today, Bullard has several attractions such as the Keipersol Vineyard and Winery and its schools -- such as The Brook Hill School.